FC4 and external hard drive (USB)

Jonathan Berry berryja at Gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 20:20:19 UTC 2005

On 8/7/05, J.Underwood <J.Underwood at open.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am considering purchasing a USB hard drive to use with a FC4 system. I am currently considering one of the Lacie 80 GB models, and was wondering if anyone had any comments on how well supported these types of devices are with FC4?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Nice name ;).  I would highly suggest that you consider buying a hard
drive enclosure and an internal drive to go in it.  I think you can
get a lot more for your money that way, and you can have more control
over the kind of enclosure you get.  An enclosure will cost you about
$30 - $40 probably and then you can use an internal drive which are
generally much less expensive, especially if you don't mind rebates.
I have a CompUSA USB enclosure with a 250 GB Matxor drive and it works
quite well with Fedora.  I'm not a fan of Maxtor or any other drive
manufacturer, it was just the best deal at the time.  The drive does
get warm when in use, but the heat does not seem excessive.

Jonathan