Cable Select vs. Master/slave settings

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 9 18:27:39 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 12:03 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > There are standards, and there are standards, as you rightly point
> out, and
> > much equipment is produced in complete violation of same - now why
> that
> > particular instance occurred for me at that time, is lost to
> history, but it
> > happened, and was formative in my reaching my current methods of
> operation.
>
> Reinforeces my belief that C/S cables are for the birds.
----
the marketplace tends to absorb previous technology which incorporating
new advances. Thus some backward compatibility. Everyone learns to cope
in their own way...some by absorbing the changes, some by dismissing
them.

Mixing a hard jumpered slave or master device with a device that is set
to use cable select on a C/S cable seems to present issues (but then
again, sometimes it works).

Craig