FC4 md5sum

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 9 18:28:55 UTC 2005

Linux Beginner wrote:
> Paul Howarth writes:
>
>>Linux Beginner wrote:
>>
>>>Team
>>>
>>>I downloaded FC4 from http://fedora.redhat.com/download (i386
>>>iso) http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/
>>>
>>>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/iso/SHA1SU
>>>

>>>and verified the chksum with http://www.toast442.org/md5/.
>>
>>The checksums are SHA1 sums, not MD5 sums. You'll need a different
>>program. Search for one called "sha1sum".
>>

>>>The two donot seem to be matching. I burned the iso to CD but
>>>when i am booting with the CD it does not seem to be recognizing
>>>the CD;
>>
>>Does your CD contain one large file (wrong) or multiple files and
>>directories (right)?
>>
>>Paul.
>

> Q1. which sha1sum will help me

Depends. What operating system are you running? A Google
search might help you find one you can use.

> Q2. The downloaded file is one single file. When i burnt it it
> too sat as one single file. How do i split it?

I can't tell exactly what your answer means. Here is a clearer
explanation/question.

The image you downloaded is one which should be written to the
CD as a disc image. When one uses software to write the CD, then
the usual thing one wants to do is make a copy of a file. If you
did that, and you mount the CD and go look at it, then you'll
see one big file on the CD. This is the *usual* thing one
wants, but not the thing we want in this case. You can keep
the CD as a backup copy, if you like, but it is useless
for trying to boot.

If you did it right, then when you mount the CD you'll see a
bunch of files on it. It's not a matter of the image you
downloaded being like a .ZIP file or .TAR file or something
like that where you have to extract the contents first.
You don't have to extract the contents. It is an image of a
whole disc, including the file system and everything.

If what you see is a single big file, then the CD won't work,
for boot, and you'll have to figure out how to instruct
your CD writing software not to create a file system and
put a file in it, but to write the image directly to the
CD. This varies with the software.

It's like the difference between duplicating a CD, and copying
the files from one CD to another. In the first case, what
you get is a bit-by-bit copy of the bits on the first disc to
the second. In the second case, the CD gets formatted, and then
some files get copied. You want to do it like duplicating a CD,
not like copying files. That's because some of the useful
information we want to put on the CD isn't actually on the
part of the CD used to store files, but in some of the lower-
level parts.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.