trouble downloading

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Tue Aug 9 21:23:59 UTC 2005

Graham S. Green wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My first post to the list so apologies if this question is commonly
> asked but the problem is driving me nuts.
>
> Is anyone else having problems downloading Fedora 4?  I've tried to
> download it on two separate boxes, using two different FTP programs
> and burn the ISO images on two different CD burners but each time I do
> a mediacheck on it, I get a "FAIL - corrupted disk or download error"
> and it then refuses to install.  I've also tried to download it from
> two different servers - the main Fedora server as well as an optusnet
> mirror here in Australia.

This has been a problem in Fedora for a while now.  You could try linux
nodma as a boot option, I'm told this fixes 99% of problems with mediacheck.

> I do not have any Linux boxes available and that is why i am trying to
> download this and so i cannot do a SHA1SUM check.

    sha1sum is available for windows at
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2004q4/000184.html
If this verifies your .iso files - you could also consider skipping the
media check. there aren't too many bad problems left out there.  You
could try listing your machine specs, video card, nic, raid or not etc.
etc. in case someone here can steer you around some known problems.

Scott