Problem with X and ssh

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 9 21:38:52 UTC 2005

Bob Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:13 -0300, Marcelo M. Garcia wrote:
>
>>Bob Taylor wrote:
>>

>>>I can't find out *why* I'm getting the error: "(gnome-terminal:3021):
>>>Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:" when using the command: "ssh
>>>user at other gnome-terminal".
>

> [snip]
>

>>Hi.
>>
>>  I think that you should use "ssh -x xxx at yyy.zzz"
>

> Marcelo,
>
> Many thanks! Don't know *why* I need -X (note: -x turns X-forwarding
> off). This doesn't make any sense to me. That's why I didn't look at the
> ssh man page.

Because, as the ssh_config(5) man page states, X-forwarding is no longer
enabled by default.  You must either specify "-X" or "-Y" on the command
line or put a "ForwardX11 yes" line in either the system-wide
"/etc/ssh/ssh_config" or your local "~/.ssh/ssh_config" file to make it
work like it used to.  I DON'T recommend the system-wide enabling of
it for a public-use machine.
-     "Daddy, why doesn't this magnet pick up this floppy disk?"     -