Problems installing Fedora Core 3 on Gateway P2

larryharriman at affordableitresources.com larryharriman at affordableitresources.com
Wed Aug 10 14:31:15 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am a linux newbie - I am a convert from Windows 2000 and  XP and .NET programming(still doing that for my day job). I am trying to install Fedora Core 3 to a old Gateway someone gave me. It is a Pentium 2, 300 mhz machine with 320 MB of RAM. It has two drives, one is a 10 gig drive(Primary) and a secondary drive that has 2 gig.

I first tried the auto partioning in the fedora 3 install wizard, it seemed to pick every correctly but after a successful install when the machine goes to reboot it hangs with just a blinking cursor at the top of the screen. I can't access a command prompt to do anything.

I even tried reinstalling it and manually creating my partitions - that did not work either. One guy here at work who is a linux guy, said it might be an issue with the hard drive being so big(since the 10 gig was probably added later) and the bios needs some type of overlay program in the first partition. XP had no problem with it, but he said it might be because XP was fooling the bios by making it think a bigger drive was smaller.

I used to have Windows XP running on this machine before I wiped it to install Fedora, and XP ran just fine.

Please any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Larry