devfs

Frank Chen frankxchen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 03:40:45 UTC 2005

> The correct solution is to find out why
> udev isn't doing what you expect it to do, and fix
> that.

Over at the hotplug mailing list, they are discussing
a patch for coldplugging in udev 065. I hope by FC5
this will be stable and included.

Correct me if I am wrong. The coldplugging seems like
a birth defect in udev. The udev starts as a user
process to handle kernel device notifications, but
kernel fires device notifications regardless if udev
is running. One could start udev as far ahead in the
init process as one could to handle hotplugging. But
there is always a chance coldplugging devices will be missed.