OK guys - yum is "too smart"

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Aug 13 16:09:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, jdow wrote:

> At the moment I am using spamassassin with some enhancements from CPAN.
> I expect soon to be using 3.10-rc<something> instead. (One of the SARE
> rule ninjas uses the machine.) So I need the flexibility. I also noticed
> that when I first brought Fedora 4 up the one feature that was terminally
> crapped out was, tada, spamassassin. I already had a very well behaved
> 3.04 from the Mandrake I used for awhile. Unfortunately I had to force
> feed SPF and DNS tests since what was present with Fedora Core 4 was
> in one case absent and in the other case broken.
>
> It looks like yum is indeed "too smart" and I will have to go back to
> manually downloading evolution and installing it nodeps. I'd been hoping
> to avoid that step.

It is not possible to bypass dep checking in yum. This is deliberate as
Seth has stated many times something to the effect that if you want to hose
your machine you will have to find some other way to do it. He will not allow
--nodeps or --force options in yum. The only thing I would suggest is to
use the --justdb option to rpm to fool rpm into thinking an appropriate
version of spamassassin is installed. That should make yum happy to
install evolution.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com