FC4 Install GRUB Load Error

Mostafa Z. Afgani mostafa.afgani at world.iu-bremen.de
Sat Aug 13 21:37:18 UTC 2005

Chris Kirk wrote:

> I did what you said and now when I turn on the PC it says
> GRUB Loading stage2...
>
> I ran the cmd
> install (hd0,0)/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 p (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf
>
> I then checked the grub.conf file to make sure it is all correct, and
> then rebooted and it still hangs on the GRUB Loading stage2...
>
> Any ideas?

I believe I came across a problem similar to yours a while back. It was
a problem with SuSE - it refused to boot from the HDD but booted fine
with the Boot CD. Eventually, it turned out that the boot partition was
not marked as active. So you might want to look into that. Try (as root)

#fdisk -l

and see if the Boot column has a '*' for /dev/hda1. If not, you can run

#fdisk /dev/hda

and then type 'a' at the fdisk prompt to toggle the bootable flag. Once
done, you need to save the changes to the partition table and exit. Type
'm' at the fdisk prompt for help.

HTH
-M