FC4 - No Sound on Dell Dimension 5100

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Aug 14 18:53:02 UTC 2005

> Aaron:
>
> Do you have any pointers about what to do in the "classic" case when one
> has done all of the above, including increasing the output of alsamixer,
> and yet no sound comes forth?  I have similar sound hardware on a
> similar laptop (the I1100) and none of the "usual suspects" has been my
> culprit.  The repairs I've found here, in the archives and on Google,
> don't seem to fix the problem.  So no sound, until I have more time to
> sort it out.
If the correct modules are in the modprobe.conf and the modules are
loaded as seen by lsmod then I am as clueless as you are.

> This morning, after upgrading a different system from FC3 to FC4, I
> discovered that while xscreensaver-base was upgraded,
> xscreensaver-gl-extras was left out.  So I had xscreensaver, but no
> screensavers to show with it.
>
> This has nothing at all to do with sound, except it makes me wonder if
> some necessary package was left out of the default installation on my
> laptop for sound support.

The above problem with xscreensaver occurred when I upgradd from FC3
to FC4. Obviously a bug in the upgrade script. I also had to add the
missing rpm.

> --

The essential ideas of Algol 68 were that the whole language should be
precisely defined and that all the pieces should fit together smoothly.
The basic idea behind Pascal was that it didn't matter how vague the
language specification was (it took *years* to clarify) or how many rough
edges there were, as long as the CDC Pascal compiler was fast.
-- Richard A. O'Keefe
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University