Logging out changes screen resolution.

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Aug 15 11:17:29 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 06:23 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>

>>Well here is the thing. The file libvgahw.a is hinky on some hardware
>>in FC4. So there are two possible solutions. The one I know works is
>>to copy that file from a FC3 system. And I think updating the rpm that
>>gives us that file might solve some of your problems. Or maybe not,
>>but it is worth a try.
>>

>Thanks, that did the trick for me.  I copied the file from a Fedora Core
>3 Linux system I have installed, and all's working smoothly (as far as I
>can tell).  I haven't tried updating the RPM it comes from,
>specifically, as I've already done all the proper updates for everything
>that's installed, beforehand.

Replacing libvgahw.a is all that is needed right now. There is a version
of xorg-x11 that has a fix (compiled w/ a debugged/later version of
GCC4). The upcoming version worked fine on my Intel 815 w/ o the need to
change the file. From Kristian Høgsberg, comment #153 in bug 161242.

excerpt:

I've updated the RPMs to disable the gcc miscompilation workaround, since
gcc-4.0.1-4 now has a fix for the problem.  xorg-x11-6.8.2-45 should be in
rawhide soon, in the meantime I've put up -45 RPMs built with the new gcc here:

  http://people.redhat.com/krh/xorg-x11-6.8.2-45/

Please give them a try so we can see if the gcc fix works as intended. Thanks!

Jim

--
Windows: Where do you WANT to go TODAY? You WANT to, but you'll never
get there. And you can go to only ONE place per day.

   -- Ewout Stam