Off topic: Hacker

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon Aug 15 23:21:01 UTC 2005

MDS> Is there an advantage to this over using /etc/hosts.allow and
MDS> /etc/hosts.deny.

If you know exactly which hosts should connect to your SSH server then
of course prevent connections from other hosts, either by firewalling
them or using hosts.allow.  If you have a limited number of
technically savvy users then you can run your SSH server on a
different port or set up some sort of port knocking system.

But if like me you run a server for a large number of users connecting
from all over the planet, then you want some sort of system that will
block abusive hosts.  DenyHosts is one such system.

 - J<