Bind-chroot-9.3.1-4 problem

Dave Harman dharman at lin-nett.com
Tue Aug 16 12:34:04 UTC 2005

Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

The symbolic links in /etc were already set up when I installed FC4

There were a number of strange things :

First, a named.conf which worked with FC2 won't work with FC4
Bind thinks there is something wrong with the file 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA
and wouldn't start. So I took the reference to 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA
out of named.conf and it started OK.

Bind functioned fine as a DNS server to the internet and accepted mail to
my domain and routed it to the mail server OK

But, within the local network, it is oblivious to any other machine.
The command 'host' returned the message it wasn't aware of any
other machines on the local network.

Thanks

Dave Harman

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 18:19 -0600, Dave Harman wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> After configuring Bind, and starting it I found the following
>> problem :
>>
>> There is no problem accessing outside sites, and mail comes into my
>> domain from outside with no problem.
>>
>> But, the bind server cannot see anything inside.
>>
>> When I type the command 'host' and a machine in the local network,
>> I get the reply name lookup failed.
>>
>> Personally, I;m not so convinced chroot is superior to non-chroot
>> and I don't understand why subsequent releases have to be so complicated
>>
>> Anyway, does anyone have a idea what I can look at ?

Make sure that your chroot is set up properly, and that the
configuration files /etc/named.conf and /etc/rndc.key are symlinks to
their equivalents in the chroot.

# ls -l /etc/named.conf /etc/rndc.*
# ls -lR /var/named/chroot

Paul.