YUM Updates

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Aug 16 14:04:46 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:
> Shamim Haider wrote:
>

>>>[base]
>>>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
>>>#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>>>mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
>>>enabled=0
>>>gpgcheck=1
>

> Paul Howarth wrote:
>

>>This should have "enabled=1", not "enabled=0".
>

> Surely only if you intend to install original (un-updated) packages over
> the net?
>
> Mines like that, and if I were to enable it, starting up YUM would take
> even longer, as it'd have another database to parse.

If you want to, for instance, install nedit when it appears in Extras,
you won't be able to because it'll require openmotif from the [base]
repo unless you've already got that installed. Or perhaps you just want
to install a package that you didn't install at install-time. There's a
reason why it's enabled by default.

Paul.