blacklisting by SORBS

John Mason Jr john.mason.jr at cox.net
Tue Aug 16 19:32:03 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> This is not strictly a Fedora question, but I would like to query the list on
> this since it's such a large user base. Recently, our ISP has been added to
> the SORBS blacklist as a source of spam. We're being told that SORBS is
> demanding money from our ISP to remove them from the list. I can't speak to
> whether the ISP is or is not a source of large amounts of spam, though it
> seems unlikely, since they are in the Washington, DC area, and have many
> government agencies as clients. Two questions: Is anyone else having
> questionable issues with SORBS? Does it sound like extortion for such a
> service to be asking for money from an ISP to remove them from such a list?

A couple of questions

What is/was the source of spam?
Has the spam source been removed?
Is the original listing accurate?

If you don't like SORBS convince the folks using it to stop, or
whitelist your IP(s). It is really the people using SORBS that have made
the choice to not accept your email.

In regards to charging for their time by donating to a charity, would
you rather they had you pay them directly for their time at going rates.

John