Newbie: Frequent application window failures under Fedora 4 kernel 2.6.12

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Wed Aug 17 03:46:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:54:27 +0100, Clive at Rational wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Running "Windowed" applications on Gnome desktop.
>
>    I was getting occasional desktop application
> failures under FC4 kernel 2.6.12-1.1398_FC4. The symptoms were the
> applicaiton window would just close - no error messages. The failing
> application was normally Firefox, sometimes Mozilla.
>
>    After one application window closure, sometimes it
> became impossible to open applications. When  I clicked on the icon the
> hour glass would appear for a few seconds then disappear. The system
> sometimes needed to reboot to recover all the applications.
>
>     I have searched through all the log files in
> directory /var/log and there are no error messages that indicate the cause
> of the problem.
>
>   I have just applied the latest Fedora 4 maintenance
>

>    After applying the latest Fedora package
> maintenance windows close more frequently (every 30 minutes) - and a wider
> range of applications. Nautilus for example, or various "gnome-"
> applications. I sometimes get a pop-up window occurring that says
> "rhn-applet failed". In this state it is impossible to launch any
> application.
>
>    Where can I find application error info or set more
> intensive logging on? None of the log files in /var/log show any
> indication that the problem has occurred let along any diagnostics.
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Don't really know if this is your real problem, but mozilla is (or used to
be) known for hogging cpu for now particular reason. You might search for
utilty called verynice which is a daemon for 'renice'ing processes which
might get carried away with their own importance. (nicing processes makes
it behave.) I just looked at it is available through the rpmforge apt
repositories.)

Shelagh