GDM Greeter Crashing FC2

Eucke euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Wed Aug 17 18:05:14 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping someone who's experienced this problem can point me in the
right direction.  The machine in question is a basic build and has long
been stable.  After installing the most recent updates I ended up
rebooting.  When the machine came up I did as I normally do.  I SSH'ed
in, SU'ed to root and then manually invoked the VNCServer.  Within a
couple of minutes the server hard locked on me.  I did not discover this
until a few hours later.  What I found was a message in the logs that
indicated that  "The greeter program appears to be crashing. I will
attempt to use a different one."  However, from what I can tell, the
system was completely unresponsive.  None of the services running on the
server appeared to be live from outside the box...and no response at the
local console.

 From what I have been able to dig up there appears to have developed
some toxic relationship between VNC, KDE and the Greeter when you SU in
SSH.  The system has long been stable so it's something that was
recently changed.  I feel like I am nibbling all around the fix but
cannot seem to identify it.  What am I missing?  I really appreciate any
help on this.  Nothing that I have turned up via google has helped me
pinpoint or determine the fix.  Thank you!

--
Eucke