FC4: grub no longer allows windows booting

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 17 18:51:51 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 08:19 -0700, oldman wrote:

[snip]

> ----
> FIXBOOT isn't supposed to do a thing to the MBR.
> FIXMBR would do that but that would be disastrous to grub and booting
> Linux
> ----

Not so. I use the original MBR to boot to the WinXP boot manager,
which does an admirable job of starting GRUB.

I've seen several posts here to the effect that multi-booting
a system is no longer much of a chore, and that things pretty
much work, unlike in the bad old days with WinNT. I haven't
had that experience. I find that Windows pretty much likes
to manage its own boot, and is best left alone doing that.

YMMV

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.