Is there free SQL or Oracle servers for FC4?

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:51:28 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Strong <s-strong at mail.ru> wrote:
> I need t write perl script to work with one of the subject-servers. But
> i found only mysql in my FC4-distribution. So, is there free SQL or
> Oracle servers for FC4? - Or is possible to write it for mysql, and it
> will work with SQL?

Are you saying that you need to connect from a Linux box to an already
existing Oracle server?

All Perl database connectivity is provided thru the DBI module (which
you can get from CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/>. You'll also need the
correct DBD module for your database (in this case DBD::Oracle). These
are available from the same place. These modules are free.

However, in order to install DBD::Oracle, you will also need the
Oracle client libraries installed on your client system. These are
provided by Oracle, but I don't know whether or not they are available
for free.

Similar arguments apply to connections to MS SQLServer, but in that
ase you'll probably need DBD::Sybase (or, at least, that was the best
option when I last did this many years ago).

Alternatively, if you're looking to install a new database system from
scratch then (as others have said) you should look at PostgreSQL which
is an open source database system which is as powerful as Oracle.

I believe that the Oracle database system is available for Linux. But
I doubt that it will be free.

Dave...