Services, how does it work?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 11:41:32 UTC 2005

From: "Efthym" <efthym at gmx.net>

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:45:31 +0300, <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:

>>> Fedora,

>>> You need to write an initscript and put it in /etc/rc.d/init.d. You'll
>>> find many examples in that directory. You can then configure the service
>>> to be started automatically (or not) using chkconfig. See "man
>>> chkconfig" for details.
>>>
>>> Paul.
>> I would just like to emphasize that in order for your initscripts to
>> work with chkconfig there are lines that must be inserted in the
>> beginning of the script that makes that possible. Check nay of the
>> existing scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d to see how that is done.
>
> I also noticed an option in Service Configuration->Actions->Add Service.
> When I tried it though, I got an "error" window popup, but nothing was
> written in it!!
> And the service name was not added....Bug maybe ?
>
> [root at purgatory ~]# rpm -q system-config-services
> system-config-services-0.8.25-1

Read the fine manual as it were. You've been pointed to an authoritative
reference. Read it. You appear to be woefully ignorant of how the
/etc/rc.d material (SYSV startup) works. Until you understand that and
the format of the /etc/rc.d/init.d files you're simply going to flail
about. Once you DO understand what is going on in those files you
can also look at the possibility that you want to put then into
/etc/rc.d/rc.local.

It might help if you pass along what it is you are thinking of adding as
a service. That may make a difference in how you wish to start them.

{^_^}