Re modified: numlock, system wide, X and console?

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Fri Aug 19 16:39:26 UTC 2005

spmirowski wrote:

>>> You can install the numlock binary by downloading and installing the
>>> following rpm:
>>> numlock-0.1-0.0.yjl.1.i386.rpm
>>>
>>> If you have configured yum to use my YJL Packages repository, you
>>> can just (as root) run:
>>>
>>> yum install numlock
>>>

>> Oooh, this looks terrific. Follow up question then:
>

>> How do I set up a startingprogram for all users? This guide only
>> tells me how to start this program for each user...
>

> How about system wide with it happening for the console and X.
> Is there a line for /etc/inputrc?

After numlock-0.1-0.0.yjl.1.i386.rpm is installed & a user activates
numlock following the instructions, a file named "session-manual" is
created in the user's /.gnome2 directory with the following code;

#[Default]
#num_clients=1
#0,RestartStyleHint=3
#0,Priority=50
#0,RestartCommand=/usr/bin/numlock

Now, I just finished creating the file "session-maunal" (using gedit),
copied "session-manual" to every user's /.gnome2 directory on a four
user system (fc3) & all four users now have the number lock key
activated upon login. When the user logs out, thenumer lock deactivates.
Also, I had to change the ownership of "session-manual" to match each
individual user. Looks like maybe the author of numlock, had the intent,
of giving the user the choice of having the number lock key on by
default eh?

> Stephen

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.