Connecting to internet (hi-speed)

Ali Ghodsian algho at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 18:14:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

There are 3 types of DSL connections depending on you
ISP. Some ISP:s give login and password to let you
login on a server (ISP:S server) and then give you a
connection to internet. Some other give a DHCP
IP-address and the third senario is a static
IP-address.
----------------------
If you have a static IP-address. Your ISP will give
you the following information

IP-address
Netmask
Gateway
DNS primary
DNS secondary
--------------

If you get DHCP IP-address. You will then get info
that you need to configure you computer as a DHCP
client to get automaticlly all information and
straight into internet.

--------------

If you have username and password. Then you have have
to talk to your ISP and configure you computer with
that userid and password in a browser ...

In any case you can either do the configuration from
the menu and system configuration choose network to
configure for IP-addresses or DHCP and don't forget to
start the DHCP client deamon (dhclient). You can easy
start it.

Come back to me and tell me what kind of DSL
connection you have. Then I will help you more.

Warm Regards

/Ali