Few Questions on adding 2nd hard drive??

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Aug 21 09:16:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 18:07 -0500, cajun wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Here is my configuration running this as a home system not critical:
>
> Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with 18gb SCSI HD.  Bought a 160gb EIDE hard drive
> to add in.  I can boot to the SCSI, which is where I have RH9 installed
> and am using right now.  The system see's the hard drive in CMOS and
> also if I run Hardware Browser as Root, Linux sees it as hda.  Here are
> my questions since I have not done anything like this before and would
> appreciate some pointers, Please!!!
>
> 1. Can I leave my SCSI as my boot drive and then use the EIDE drive as
> what ever?
>
> 2. Since I am going to go to FC4 in the next couple of weeks, would it
> be better to wait and just reinstall using the EIDE drive as the first
> drive wipe out the SCSI and use it as needed?
>
> 3. If I can leave the SCSI as the first drive can I use fdisk to format
> hda and then use mkfe2, partition it out and them mount it in /etc/fstab?
>
> If someone could point me to a  howto or some other reading that would
> be great also.  I have tried googling and searching the archives, but
> have not ran across anything like this.

If I was you I would suggest waiting a couple of weeks and setting up
the IDE drive as the first drive in the BIOS before your FC4 install.
Whilst there's no reason why it wouldn't work the other way around, my
experience from adding an IDE drive to one of my own systems is that you
may have issues upgrading your system when FC5 etc. comes out, because
the installer assumes the IDE drives come "before" SCSI drives. The
result is that grub doesn't work after the upgrade. You can actually
correct this is the installer using the "advanced boot loader options"
but if you set the system up the "default" way in the first place, then
it's one less thing that might trip you up in the future.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>