alsaconf in FC4

Amichai Rotman poder.pinguino at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:15:01 UTC 2005

I have a similar problem.

My aoundcard is SIS chipset - system-config-sound will not detect it,
and eved freezes while detacting...

One idea that comes to mind - run a LiveCD like Knoppix and check the
/etc/modules.conf to see which mosule it loads for sound. Then edit
the modules.conf file manually. Don't forget to check if you have the
module present....

Hope that helps,

On 8/21/05, Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/05, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0501.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:00:48 +0100, Dave Cross wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still working on getting sound working on my Dell Dimension 5100.
> > > One suggestion I got from the alsa list was to try running alsaconf
> > > from the alsa-util package.
> > >
> > > I have alsa-util 1.09 installed, but it doesn't include alsaconf. In
> > > fact I can't find alsaconf in any of the alsa packages from the
> > > standard Fedora repositories. Am I looking in the wrong place?
> >
> > No. It's not included, because system-config-soundcard is
> > supposed to detect your soundcard. Alsaconf also wants the alsasound
> > rc script, which is not included either.
>
> Ok, so I'm still a bit stuck then. system-config-soundcard detects my
> card, but when I run alsamixer I only see one channel (labelled 'PCM')
> and I get no sound output.
>
> Does anyone have any advice for my next step?
>
> Dave...
>
> --

Amichai Rotman

UIN#: 6401746