to yum or apt

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sun Aug 21 17:16:15 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 11:25 +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
>

>>Richard Emberson wrote:
>>

>>>In the past I've used synaptic (which uses apt). Now that I've just
>>>upgraded to
>>>FC4, the question I've got is should I switch over to use the Yum
>>>Extender?
>>>Will packages available to yum users also be available to apt users?
>>>Does yumex assure that all dependencies are satisfied before doing an
>>>install?
>>>

>>Haven't tried yumex (yet), just plain yum, but that does make sure
>>everything is right wrt. dependencies etc.
>>

>Yes; in fact yum doesn't have provide options to break dependencies,
>unlike rpm itself.
>

>>Apart from that, the way I understand it, apt and yum now use exactly
>>the same "repository" data, i.e. a yum-enabled distribution directory
>>will also work with apt and vice versa. If it uses the current
>>repository format, that is; there used to be different, incompatible
>>formats, then both tools were updated to support a common standard.
>>

>I've not heard of any version of apt that can use repo data from any
>version of yum.
>
>Up2date though, can handle old and new yum metadata plus apt metadata.
>Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?

No, I'm thinking of

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/

As you can see, what you call "new yum metadata" is not really that;
it's more like "new common metadata", i.e. a format that supposed to be
common to yum, apt, up2date and some others, too.

Now, I assumed that the new format is supported in current apt clients
as well as yum, but I haven't actually tested.

- Toralf