libc.so.6: Cannot open shared object file: Permission denied

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 09:16:15 UTC 2005

Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> Yes. That helped. Thanks!
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand why, though. Care to explain it? (SELinux
>>> is quite new to me..)
>>>

>> If you have ever booted with SELinux disabled (or share a Linux
>> partition with a different distro that doesn't use SELinux), you will
>> have unlabelled files on your system. Accesses to these files from
>> SELinux-protected apps won't work properly.
>>
> So /sbin/kmodule (which didn't work) would be an SELinux-protected
> app, and ls, cat etc. unprotected?
>
> Maybe the problem is that the upgrade I did also enabled SELinux?
> Seems to me that if it did, it also ought to ensure it installed files
> with the right labels, though...

If you had explicitly disabled SELinux in FC3, the installer shouldnt
have enabled SELinux during an upgrade to FC4. If it was enabled
previously, an upgrade would relabel the filesystem to the current
active policy.  If you did a policy update in FC4, the filesystem might
need to be relabelled at times. This is probably what was required on
your system. See the FAQ on policy updates for more details

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/

(FC3 FAQ but mostly applies to FC4 too)

regards
Rahul