FC2 Upgrade to RHEL 4?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Mon Aug 22 09:54:50 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>Is it reasonable to go from FC2 to RHEL 4?
>>
>>Is it reasonable to expect being able to upgrade as opposed to
>>backup/install clean/reload?
>>

>I think everyone's been answering your second question (correctly: no,
>it's not reasonable).
>
>Doing a fresh install will be supported, and the Best Way to do it. And
>it shouldn't be too involved.

Yep. The RHEL installer supports only upgrades from other RHEL releases.

You could trick it into upgrading from FC, though; I think it's just a
matter of installing the redhat-release package from RHEL over
fedora-release before booting the installer. I don't necessarily
recommend doing this, though...

- Toralf