What did I do?

Thomas hkmcrkm at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 10:45:59 UTC 2005

> Newly installed Fedora FC4; samba doesn't work.

>Remote hosts attempting to mount NFS share exported from
> Fedora system report "no route to host"

>After re-enabling SELinux as "targeted" using GUI on
> gnome desktop, with RELABELING file system selected,
> and system rebooted;
>Samba then works, and the NFS share is available to
> remote hosts.

> (Mike suggests it was a firewall setting)

Fedora FC4 default firewall rules in iptables are little more than a
skeleton; nothing is rejected/dropped, all ports wide open. No rules
were changed before/after Samba/NFS started working.

Default file system installed, default SELinux was (I think) "enabled".
After changing SELinux to "targeted", and RELABELING file system, Samba
worked,  and NFS export share could be mounted by remote hosts. NFS
client actions, on the Fedora system, did work before SELinux was
changed to "targeted".

"Something" in the default SELinux policy was preventing authentication
of Samba users, and remote hosts.

Fedora FC4 install was from CD's obtained from linuxcentral.com. Once
Fedora was working, yum was used to update (153mb) to current Fedora
release versions. Samba version 3.0.20rc2  (rpm) from samba.org was
installed, and is running (apparently without problems, though no
extensive testing has been done).

Disabling SELinux didn't fix the problem. Re-enabling SELinux and
setting it to "targeted" using GUI on gnome desktop; relabeling the
filesystem at boot seems to have made everything work.

(looking in /etc/selinux/config SELINUX=permissive SELINUX=targeted. An
earlier message to the list mentioned something about
touch ./autorelabel; I can't locate autorelabel here. )

I report my results to the fedora-list for others who are having similar
difficulties with default, newly installed fedora system who encounter
similar difficulties, and invite comments. I would like to understand
what was incorrectly setup. Thanks Mike.

Regards
Thomas