Linux notebooks by Hewlett-Packard

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 01:24:32 UTC 2005

> >>Nah, that's just old distros for you.
>
> >When I first put RH7.3 onto my first laptop, I needed to recompile the
> kernel for my NIC and soundcard - it's just one of those PITA things.
> Needless to say that when RH9 came along, everything was picked up. It
> now sits with FC2 on (it's at the sister in laws) and has everything
> working.

That's understandable - the hardware aged enough until the distro supported
it more fully and easier. I make sure the software is much newer than the
hardware - then I am ok. And it depends greatly on what you are trying to
run. I keep seeing more and more fancy ads for laptops especially, and every
time I think "what are the odds that I could actually get EVERY part of the
system to work"? I have seen more posts to the effect of 'I can get
everything but (fill in the blank) to work'. I know what you mean - the
modern distros are MILES ahead of where they used to be! But then again
there are always new features, chipsets, wireless features, etc. added. I
would hope that they all have support right out of the box. But I don't have
enough faith in HP to throw unbridled (and largely unearned) brand loyalty
their way. That may change one day for me if enough company propaganda, I
mean marketing, comes my way. Debian might be a differrent story - I hear
that there is a greater range of hardware supported right out of the box. I
have yet to test that theory at this point.

Marc