The newgrp command

rengland at europa.com rengland at europa.com
Tue Aug 23 20:07:19 UTC 2005

> Thank you Ben and Richard for yoru replies.
>
> Well, Ben you are right, root can switch to any group without having to
> give
> a password. I also discovered the same as what Richard said. However, in
> case an ordinary user is not a member of a particular group and she/he
> tries
> to use the newgrp command to switch to that group with correct password,
> it
> always gave the error message: Permission denied.
>
> Read a lot of docs on it but still could not help.
>
> Regards,
> Vidol

I'm no expert on this but what password were you entering for the group?
Do you know what, if any password was assigned to the group?  It may or
may not be the same as you login passwd.

You can modify the group password using gpasswd  (see the man page).  I
did not investigate to find out how the original (creation time) password
is set.

I've only used a small number of groups  (3-4) on my personal machine and
I've added my userid to each so I've never had to use newgrp there.  At
work I don't have permissions to modify anything at this level so I've not
worked with it.

--R