Archiving Data Permanently

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 23 21:32:44 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject...

[snip]

> There are complex set of problems that revolve around preserving data
> for long periods of time that defy simple answers. rescuing files in
> obsolete formats off media formats that were no longer supported was my
> bread and butter for a while. The best thing you can do is move all your
> data everytime you get a new storage technology, before the hardware
> thta supports it can't be connected to a modern machine, before the file
> format is not longer supported, before the media you assumed worked
> because they did the last time you tested them failed...

This is correct.

> What computer media from 20 years ago (1985) can you still read? 51/4"
> floppies? mfm, rll sasi, or esdi hard-disks? 9-track tape? 1/4" qic
> tape? tk50? variable speed 3.5" floppies? disk pack?

I can still read 5 1/4" floppies (368K and 1.2M), MFM drives (still
have one I use on a semi-regular basis), RLL (I have one I use
occasionally). SASI *is* SCSI (Shugart Associates System Interface, when
standardized, simply changed names to Small Computer System Interface).

I can still read 9-track and QIC. I can't still read variable speed
3.5" floppies (anyone got an old Mac?).

> how about 30 years ago? got a punch card reader? paper tape? cassette
> deck? 9 track tape? 8" floppy? ibm winchester drive?

Can't read paper tape/punch any more, but I can read cassette deck
(KC standard and also a proprietary), you mentioned 9 track already,
my last 8" floppy died. I was never able to read IBM Winchester, too
expensive.

> Now? does anyone here believe a significant amount of computer media
> will actually rotate in 20 years?

Current media? Sure. Not media *already* 20 years old.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.