mount per user

Ankush Grover ankush174 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 04:54:43 UTC 2005

> > > One way
> > > run smbmount and smbumount with setuid
> > >
> > > chmod u+s smbmount
> > > chmod u+s smbumount
> > >
> > But ofcourse security problems.
> >

> > Or you can mention the owner of the home dir  with uid and gid in fstab
> >
> > //HisComputer/HisShare  /mnt/MyMount     smbfs    uid=515,gid=515 0 0
> >
> > Now user with uid 515 and group with id 515 has all the rights on
> > their home directory.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Ankush Grover
>
> Sorry for sending you this message directly, but I must have a solution
> the latest tomorrow.
>
> I changed this chmod on smbmount
> but then I get the message
> $ mount /mnt/pcleen
> libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.
> 22339: Connection to 192.1.1.1 failed
> SMB connection failed
>
> You need also to know that the password for Linux and MsServer is
> different, because of Lx security.
>
> I installed linneighborhood.
> But I do not understand what is happening, in other words, nothing is.
> I see the lx Server and his mounts

If you r using Windows 2003 then through smbfs you can't mount the
windows directories.You need to use cifs for that

mount -t cifs -o username=john //windowsserver/share /mnt/smb

in /etc/fstab

//windows/share        /mnt/smb            cifs
credentials=/etc/.smb uid=515,gid=515   0 0

 even it is not windows 2003 you can use cifs with any windows.

in /etc/.smb file

username=john (windows username)

password=the password for the user john

don't make this file world readable.