Problem: "shutdown -h" can not automatically poweroff machine

ha haha hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 21:25:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

 I got a problem described below:

 "shutdown -h now" does not automatically poweroff my
Intel Box. I have tried "halt -p", "poweroff" commands
as well under runlevel 3 as well, they just doesn't
poweroff my Linux box as well. The output of "shutdown
-r now" on screen is:

 md: stopping all md devices.
 flushing ide devices.
 powerdown.

 At this time the SATA hard drives are still spinning
-- I can hear the noice inside, and the system still
responding to "ctrl-alt-del" -- will go to reboot if
the key combination is hit.

 I touch a file /poweroff and re-issue command
"shutdown -r now", or "halt -p", the problem is still
there.

 The default Fedora Core installation which runs at
Level 5 does poweroff Linux box for "shutdown -r now"
, or "halt -p", or "poweroff".

 Do I need to patch my kernel or the SysVinit rpm? or
special options in kernel configuration? Please help.

My Computers are:

 HP Workstation XW4100, HP PC Vectra 420.
 Kernel is generic kernel 2.4.30, 2.6.12. (downloaded
directly from www.kernel.org).
 FC1 and FC4 Linux