hard drive config suggestions

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Aug 25 20:03:31 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:14, James Pifer wrote:
>

>>So, on to my question. It's a real hassle to go through this when
>>ATA/EIDE drives fail, and it seems like they fail a lot nowadays. I have
>>quite a few of these drives so I'm not looking to purchase anything
>>else, like SATA. So I'm wondering should I try doing some type of RAID5
>>with these drives?
>

> If you have power problems or the motherboard fries it can take
> all the attached drives at once.  You might be better off getting
> some firewire/usb2 enclosures for your extra drives and just
> periodically mount them and rsync the parts you want to back
> up.

If RAID 5 was used via a RAID card, would this be less of a worry?
I mean, unless a surge physically takes out the HD's, then you have a
second level of protection.

Of course, don't cut corners on the power supply or UPS.

I ask this as it is getting quite easy to build a multi TB RAID array
for not much money and backing up that amount of data can cost more then
the array.

--
Robin Laing