Accented characters on FC3

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 26 15:47:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:18 -0500, Stéphane Bruno wrote:
> US International layout so that I can use the combination ' + [letter]
> to have the accented character that I need without memorizing the
> ASCII codes.
>
> Now, the problem I have is that I cannot produce the "c cédille" on
> Linux, which is the letter c with a comma-like sign underneath it,
> extensively used in french. On Windows, typing ' + c correctly
> produces the letter I need, but on Linux, the combination produces ć,
> which does not exist in French.

Shouldn't you be typing the comma then the c, not the apostrophe then
the c?

> Even when I access my Linux box from a terminal on Windows, the
> combination produces the correct letter on the Linux box.

Wouldn't that be a keyboard issue to deal the terminal you're directly
typing into, rather than Linux box at the end of the wire?

> Also, still related to character sets, people that receive my emails
> (I use Evolution) say that some accented characters do not display
> properly. They all use Windows. I see that the default character set
> for Evolution is UTF-8. Should I change it to ISO-8859-1 ? Will this
> solve the problem ? Or will it now give problems for people I
> communicate with that use Linux ?

Many news and mail clients don't handle UTF-8, and they're still playing
in the 7-bit messaging world.  I wouldn't be surprised at OE not
handling UTF-8, though they should all handle ISO-8859-1, though some
might behave as if you sent Windows-1252 (so as long as you use what's
common between them, you're fine).  I would be very surprised at any *ix
client not handling ISO-8859-1.

I read messages from the public lists.