PCAnywhere in Linux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 02:59:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 21:17, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there any similar program like PCAnywhere in Linux?
> I'd like to connect to a remote Linux desktop screen using phone line and
> modem.

If you want a text mode login over a modem you can use mgetty.  If you
want Xwindows you'll need to do a ppp connection with the modem - not
necessarily directly to the host - just somewhere able to connect
over tcp.  Then you would run vncviewer on the client side and
have the option on the server of starting an independent screen
with Xvnc (use the vncserver script to start it before you need
the connection), letting xinetd start fresh sessions for each
connection, or you can enable the vnc capability in the console
session so you can pick up the running screen remotely.

Or you can do a ppp connection, followed by an ssh connection
to get a text mode login over tcp.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at futuresource.com