ntpdate

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Aug 29 16:07:09 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 29.08.2005 schrieb Albert A. Modderkolk um 17:54:

> I would like to make a cron ntpdate job but I know that I have to open a
> certain port.  Which is it and how do I do that?
>
> Tia, Albert

First part of your question: to learn fishing yourself :)

  grep ntp /etc/services

That will show you the port that service (NTP) will use.

Second question part: the default firewalling setup Fedora ships with
allows running ntpdate without need for modification of this
firewalling. Simply use "ntpdate -u" to use an unprivileged high port
for outgoing communication of ntpdate with the target time server, which
will be contacted at port 123 (asynchronous communication, like if you
surf to a website with your browser, the port used on your side is a
random high port, though the target webserver port is commonly port 80).

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpdate.html

Alexander

Serendipity 18:00:35 up 7 days, 14:44, load average: 0.17, 0.15, 0.12