Share internet connection/make a small server

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Aug 30 08:20:23 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 30.08.2005 schrieb Antonio Olivares um 1:45:

> apparently everything is working, but I cannot get
> into internet from Windows 98 SE machine using dhcp to
> access it.
> Should I change the subnetmask?

No.

> Should I rename domain-name-servers or just omit that
> line?

domain-name-servers should be IP addresses. Which to use I can't judge,
but maybe the 2 of your ISP may be best choice.

> Antonio

Make sure you have forwarding set on on the gateway host:

$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

must print out "1" (without quotes). If it does not, then activate it in
/etc/sysctl.conf and run "sysctl -p". Make too sure the gateway does NAT
by an iptables rule like:

iptables -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

[eth0 should be in your case the outgoing device]

Alexander

Serendipity 10:14:51 up 8 days, 6:58, load average: 0.15, 0.26, 0.29