Strange init 3 behavior,

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Aug 30 11:38:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 06:15:54PM -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 16:31 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> >   Has any one seen this behavior on FC4 systems, and know what to do about
> >  it?
> >
> >  You go into a text terminal and wan to change to
> >  init level 3, so you execute the command init 3. The machine hangs. (more about
> >  this later)
> >
> >  So just to try something you enter init 1 instead of init 3. The machine
> >  goes to init level 1. Aha you say. I know what to do and you type init 3
> >  The machine not to be bested by a mere user changes to init
> >  level 5.
> >
> >  A kind of work around>
> >
> >  If you go into a terminal and you  type init 3 and it
> >  hangs in various places depending on how long you wait and whether you hit
> >  return. Now you hit ctrl-alt-f7 the screen goes black. You then hit
> >  ctl-alt-f1 and eureka you are in init level 3. Is that obscure enough a
> >  procedure for you. I tried this on three  machines and it worked
> >  every time.
> >
> >  What is happening here? Does any one know?
> >

> > --
>
> Aaron,
>
> Does hitting return in the virtual terminal return a prompt after you
> enter runlevel 3?
>
> I have seen what you describe on FC3.  I think the prompt after typing
> init 3 is getting lost.  I just reproduced it on an x86_64 machine and I
> see on an i386 machine as well.  Maybe a bug report is in order.
>
> Bob...
No prompt is returned.  The machine has hung.  However, I think what
you are describing is the behavior on earlier versions. When you ran
init 3 some lines appeared but after the line anacron appeared you had
to hit return to get the prompt.

In out case , either the screen goes black and hangs or sometimes you
get as far as the line anacron but hitting return does nothing.

Connector Conspiracy, n:
	[probably came into prominence with the appearance of the KL-10,
	none of whose connectors match anything else] The tendency of
	manufacturers (or, by extension, programmers or purveyors of anything)
	to come up with new products which don't fit together with the old
	stuff, thereby making you buy either all new stuff or expensive
	interface devices.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University