Tar not working under FC4 as it does with FC3

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 20:24:09 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 02:01, Joey wrote:
>
>>I can't figure out what is happening to my backups, apparently something in
>>tar has changed, but I can't find anything in the docs.
>>

>>LOG=${SERVER}'-backup.log'
>>        nice -n 14 tar -czf ${BACKUP_LOC}/D-Backup-${DATE}.tar.gz /
>>--exclude-from ${EXCLUDE} -g ${CONFIG_LOC}/${LOG}
>

> Try putting the options before the target like the docs say.  I
> think it was an accident that this ever worked.

That argument list consists entirely of options and arguments to those
options.  If you are suggesting that the "-f ARCHIVE" option needs to
be the last option, I would like to know where in the tar documentation
you find that restriction.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.