Tar not working under FC4 as it does with FC3

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 20:37:56 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 15:24, Robert Nichols wrote:

> >>I can't figure out what is happening to my backups, apparently something in
> >>tar has changed, but I can't find anything in the docs.
> >>

> >>LOG=${SERVER}'-backup.log'
> >>        nice -n 14 tar -czf ${BACKUP_LOC}/D-Backup-${DATE}.tar.gz /
> >>--exclude-from ${EXCLUDE} -g ${CONFIG_LOC}/${LOG}
> >

> > Try putting the options before the target like the docs say.  I
> > think it was an accident that this ever worked.
>
> That argument list consists entirely of options and arguments to those
> options.  If you are suggesting that the "-f ARCHIVE" option needs to
> be the last option, I would like to know where in the tar documentation
> you find that restriction.

Isn't the / the target that you want to copy?  Tar has always had an
oddball argument processing routine to support the ancient bundled
one letter options without any leading '-' but I think the last
version became slightly more normal by not looking for more options
after hitting the file/directory name(s) that are supposed to be
at the end.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com