NO ADSL with kernel-smp 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Wed Aug 31 12:09:38 UTC 2005

Bob Chiodini said the following on 31/08/2005 12:53:
> On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 11:47 +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>
>>Bob Chiodini said the following on 31/08/2005 11:33:

>>>Anything relevant in /var/log/messages?  What is the output of route -n?
>>>
>>>Bob...
>>>

>>I had a look at /var/log/messages (that I attach, only as e-mail to
>>you...), but I am not very expert.
>>I see a timeout transmit on eth0 repeated many times when using SMP
>>kernel at about 6.35 at the end.
>>I see also many errors conencted to ACPI (on both kernels) that I am not
>>able to decode
>>
>>Tnx
>>

> Antonio,
>
> I culled the messages down into a SMP boot and a UP boot.  A quick look
> indicates one message is missing in the SMP boot log.  It's marked with
> an arrow and indicates that the eth0 device interrupt was detected as
> IRQ 11 (UP only).  Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.  Some
> other information that might help:
>
> cat /proc/interrupts for both the UP and SMP.
>
> Also, do you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard?  What
> kind of motherboard is this?

An Asus P5P800, Bios updated in July

Check the IO-APIC options in the BIOS
> setup.
>
> You might try moving the realtek NIC to another slot.  That's a shot in
> the dark, but it's pretty early and I'm only into my first cup of
> coffee!
>
> Bob...

    Standard
       CPU0
   0:   20180445          XT-PIC  timer
   1:       5563          XT-PIC  i8042
   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   5:     701131          XT-PIC  SysKonnect SK-98xx, Intel ICH5,
ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb3
   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  11:     380784          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb4,
uhci_hcd:usb5, eth0
  12:     801086          XT-PIC  i8042
  14:     112972          XT-PIC  ide0
  15:     358109          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

SMP
        CPU0       CPU1
   0:     137004      48896    IO-APIC-edge  timer
   1:         29         27    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
   5:          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  SysKonnect SK-98xx, Intel
ICH5, ehci _hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb3
   8:          1          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  11:          0          0    IO-APIC-edge  uhci_hcd:usb2,
uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_h cd:usb5, eth0
  12:       1146        836    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  14:       9294       5957    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
  15:        440        568    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
NMI:          0          0
LOC:     181971     182055
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

I am wondering if the two kernels have different management of iptables,
in particular IPv4 or IPv6, another shot in the dark, even if is
afternoon here

tnx
--
Antonio Montagnani

Mob.+393386586046

Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6