Strange init 3 behavior,

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Aug 31 17:54:09 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 13:44, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> As I keep telling my students you need to ask even it shows your
> ignorance. Maybe it is the early hour but I don't know how to try the
> 'vesa' X driver or even what the 'vesa' X driver is. I would like to
> know what it is if it potentially will solve our problem.
> Could you clarify?

Yep.  X is the graphical display system, it keeps its configuration
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

If you make a backup of that, then have a look in there, you'll see it is made
up of various stanzas which talk about your keyboard, mouse, monitor, display
adapter and "screens", which are the association of these other things into a
single monitor.

You want to look for this:

Section "Device"
        Driver      "mydriver"
EndSection

mydriver is the name of your current X video driver.  Comment out the old
Driver line with a #

#    Driver    "mydriver"

and add in the vesa driver instead

      Driver "vesa"

underneath it.  Then save the file and restart X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will do
it if you saved your stuff and are on VT7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7)).

Now you should come up reasonably as before, but you are using a very boring,
'safe' driver with no real accelleration.  If the behaviours that you don't
like persist, now you can rule out the X display driver as the source.  But
perhaps the behaviours will be gone, in which case you know it is likely
coming from your old X display driver, whatever that was.

-Andy