]OT] http-authorization:

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 18:51:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 12:32, Don Russell wrote:

> I have a web appl that uses status code 401 (authorization required) to
> challenge the user for an id/password. The client then responds with the
> http-authorization header etc. All is well.
>
> But, I want to make a more 'friendly' log on page:
> So, my server sends a page with status 200 (OK) with a simple form with
> two fields: userid/password. (The rest of the page content is the
> friendly fluff, not relevant to my problem)

Usually the way this is done is to turn off basic authentication
and use something cookie-based instead.  You can probably find
a routine in whatever server scripting language you prefer
to handle the login and checking if you don't want to write
your own.  A side effect is that you can add a 'logout' button
to delete the cookie where the only way to get rid of basic
authentication is to shut down the browser.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com