theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 2 21:28:28 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:22, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>>Windows suffers because by default most users have admin or super user
>>>capabilities.  This in turn becomes the conduit that so many of the
>>>viruses use to gain complete control of the system.
>>
>>Eh? Not on any machine I administer, they don't.
>

> Are there no users who know more about their own jobs and program

As I pointed out, even *I* do not have admin capabilities on
the XP machines I administer. (I mean my usual login user.)
I have never logged into my Linux machine as root. Not even
once. I use su.

> installation needs than you do?  The reason personal computers
> became popular is because central management of mainframe type
> installations often didn't keep with their users changing needs.

Umm, well :-)

I believe they became popular with ordinary users because
they can play games.

> In places where users can't control their own PCs, you'll often
> see 2 computers on every desktop. One is official and used for
> email, and the other is bought with department or project funds
> and is where the real work gets done using programs the user
> installs himself.

I've never worked in a MicroSoft Shop.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.