Help with crash Fedora Core 4

dan glenlivet at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 4 01:26:44 UTC 2005

Howdy,
 I was installing Audacity  when I encountered a total lock-up failure.
After reboot, the only thing that comes up is GNU GRUB
(grub>)  I tried to reinstall off of my original distro disks using the
upgrade mode because I have gobs of files that I presently can not get
to and I don't want to wipe the hard drive clean and start over loosing
all my data. When I try to do the reinstall/upgrade I get an error
message telling me that /usr/tmp is a directory and should be a symbolic
link I should return it to the state of a symbolic link and restart the
upgrade.

 Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated..