moving /home

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Dec 4 14:47:54 UTC 2005

I would like to move my home directory to a new 300GB SATA drive - I edit
video, so I need lots of space.
I've installed the hardware, and using qtparted I've formatted it as ext3 - in
qtparted it appears as sda1
My current mounts:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hdb1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
/dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/windows type ntfs (ro,umask=0222,gid=100)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/proc on /var/named/chroot/proc type none (rw,bind)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

I'm caught in a circular logic trap and I can't figure out what to do next.
I've read the mount and fstab man pages, and googled this issue, but I'm
missing something. What would be the next step?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA