moving /home

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 03:45:59 UTC 2005

Hello CJ,
After my last post I had to dash to bed - it was getting close to early
morning Monday!
I think I spelled correctly about shifting your files. But I am afraid U
shifted them to the root of /dev/sda1 rather then than to /dev/sda1/home.

Two solutions now

1. Please move your files to proper place and U will have normalcy restored
on reboot. This U can do by booting as root and shifting files to proper
place. recheck correctness - u know what is correct - reboot as user.

2. Nothing is lost if U did as I requested U to. If U have your old /home
files and /etc/fstab.bak.
# cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.new    !save your new fstab
# cp /etc/fstab.bak /etc/fstab     ! restore old backup version
# reboot
# mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/my80gigHOME
# ls /mnt/my80gigHOME   ! if U see only /home u are really there
     ! or if U see all your files in this place, ur cp was incorrect
# ls /mnt/my80gigHOME/home   ! this is ur final aim to see everything here,
      ! shift every thing from /mnt/my80gigHOME (except /mnt/my80gigHOME
/home) to up here /mnt/my80gigHOME/home this is difficult for me in text
mode but a kiss in GUI. please be carefull.
! check place of files once again - say OK to yourself truly.
 # cp /etc/fstab.new /etc/fstab.    !renew your fstab
# reboot

PS: sorry I am not replying to your actions on -> cp -pr   ;  cp -prv   ; cp
-av  etc.... presuming it gets covered in solution suggested. In any case if
U have old /home files intact, then U can clean the mess, and  "redo" whole
thing correctly and u know how...

--
Anil Kumar Shrama