moving /home

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 12:47:27 UTC 2005

Pl, allow me to clarify, in fact I was doubtful while writing it but instead
dashed -
There is nothing like /dev/sda1/home     I thought, it would be obvious (my
mistake), actual writeup should have been

"U shifted them to the root of /dev/sda1 rather than to folder /home in
/dev/sda1"

Please, please, correct me if I am wrong, in plain one word (capital
allowed) and more -
{
Will it work as 'home" from the root of /dev/sda1 when mounted in fstab and
treated (attempted to be) as "home" for Linux purpose.
U C, a conflict here itself, there cannot be two line with entries of / in
fstab for second field, (*fs_file*).
Also, home is a reserved name (~variable?) like usr etc proc bin "/" sys
boot var ... ... ; and lot of things default to them.
Suppose I want to announce contents in folder named pqrs as the "home", I
mount it and edit fstab, it still is not "home". What makes it home is this
reserved name and it can be placed anywhere in file system, mounted as
/../../../home (most common place being /home of a suitable partition),
announce it in fstab and be used for all the intended defaults of Linux.
}

PS: Please, don't bring out swords, we are playing with nails! and learning
something; also lets laugh at this little joke - Haha..haha - just to
chill , lets play folks..

On 12/5/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:

> On Mon December 5 2005 1:57 am, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 09:15 +0530, Anil Kumar Sharma wrote:
> > > Hello CJ,
> > > After my last post I had to dash to bed - it was getting close to
> > > early morning Monday!
> > > I think I spelled correctly about shifting your files. But I am afraid
> > > U shifted them to the root of /dev/sda1 rather then than
> > > to /dev/sda1/home.
> >
> > He does NOT want them at /dev/sda1/home, but does want them at the root
> > of /dev/sda1
> > /dev/sda1 will be mounted at /home so the current contents of /home MUST
> > be at the root of /dev/sda1
>
> I think you just struck the missing conceptual nail on the head! See later
> in
> the thread if curious....
>
> --
Anil Kumar Shrama