moving /home [Solved - HowTo]

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:52:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 08:29, Claude Jones wrote:

> 5) Copy the contents of current home folder to the new drive:
> 'cp -a/home/* /mnt/mynewhome'
> (this step is important to get right - it takes all the contents of the
> current /home and copies them to the root of the new drive, sda1, now mounted
> as /mnt/mynewhome - you want everything BELOW /home to be transferred to this
> new location - also, when copying the contents of /home to the new location,
> you want all the attributes of the files preserved which is what the '-a'
> option to the 'cp' command does - read the 'man cp' pages for details of this
> command)

Usually I cd into the target directory and
cp --one-file-system -a . /path/to/dest
since that removes any question about whether it will create a new
directory to match the source on the target and I can never remember
the trailing slash syntax rules (whereas '.' always means the same
thing), and it also will skip any isos or nfs shares that might happen
to be mounted, along with /proc if you do the root filesystem.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com